My good friend Srishti, who is one spunky young lady, recently told me about an alleged molestation incident which took place at the prestigious Jadavpur University here in Kolkata. The incident allegedly took place last month-end, and it snowballed when the University VC instead of ensuring a free and fair investigation, asked the alleged victim to lie low and not attend college for couple of weeks!
Srishti and her many equally courageous friends have been protesting the incident and the subsequent apathy of the college authorities, not with much success sadly till now!
Anyways, Srishti mentioned that everyone should do their bit to highlight the issue. Of course, I flatly refused! There was no reason why I should involve myself with such PETTY issues!
She asked – Can you give me ONE good reason, why you won’t????
I pondered over it, and responded- Well, I will give you not 1 but 12 reasons!
So, here are 12 reasons why one should NOT PROTEST any such incident. Read on….
- Firstly, it’s just a PETTY molestation case…I think I should wait for someone to get raped..and then I’ll REALLY have a cause for protest!
- Secondly, The girl must have worn a revealing dress… And why was she out so late at night anyway?? That too with a guy? She deserved it, if you ask me!
- And C’mon…Boys will be boys! We all know that! These PETTY things happen! Why make such a hue and cry over it!
- I am not a student of JU…and anyway the students there are such snobs…serves her right!!
- That’s something which happens to other people…won’t happen to me or my near ones. Why should I bother?
- I must have shared like…a zillion posts on feminism everyday on FB! I have better things to do than protest a PETTY molestation.
- It’s better to not get involved. Who knows…the authorities might victimize me!
- My Daughter is NOT like that! Such things will never happen to her. And my son…he is such a Bhalo Chhele( Good Boy)…he doesn’t even look at girls! The girl must have asked for it!
- I cannot possibly sully the image of my college, such a reputed institute, by protesting a PETTY molestation!
- What difference will one person make anyway? Let the others protest. Anyway these college kids will get bored soon and it will die out in a few days anyway.
- I REALLY have to watch this awesome football game between Ouagadougou and Timbuktoo on TV today. That’s like a once in a lifetime opportunity! Sorry, can’t protest…no time!
- I really care about this issue and I DO want to protest, but I am not sure how. I wish someone could tell me how I can contribute without seriously jeopardizing my schedule.
For all those, who are in empathy with any one or more of the absolutely logical reasons. Stop reading right here.
For the few who still want to know more about the incident and maybe do something about it( I would strongly discourage!), check out Srishti’s reportage on the incident published in Kindle Magazine, HERE.