As a kid, I was so talkative that I could go on and on and on, till my mom and elder sister would shout out in despair, “We are not listening, and we don’t want to know what happened at the playground today!!” And I would retort right back, “I am not talking to you. I am talking to the walls!” And, I would go right ahead with my story, undeterred and unchallenged, while Ma and Didi (Bengali for elder sister) would sit through it with a look of resignation on their faces! 🙂
I still remember Mrs. Kutty, my high school English teacher shouting out in exasperation, “Sayantan! Stop blabbering away with the girls on the last bench!”, and I would stop…for five minutes, and then resume! Of course, with age that tendency to blabber has abated somewhat, but if the company is intelligent and witty, nothing gives me more pleasure than a good round of Adda (it’s a Bengali word- check the meaning here).
And, since this is my blog and I am free to write whatever I feel like, I am gonna go right ahead and bore you with my narcissistic post! And if you don’t want to listen to it…well…you know my answer, “I am talking to the walls”! 😀
- My name is not Know-All! Though I wish I could change it to that! But, my mom threatens to throw me out, and like any obedient Bengali boy (Bengali males are always “boys”, they seldom become “Men”), I complied. So, my friends still call me Sayantan. I reside in Kolkata (Calcutta), India.
- It’s my dream to be so rich that working becomes optional, but THAT seems distinctly unlikely in THIS lifetime! Though what’s more realistic is the hope that someday I get a job which challenges my creativity so much that the money becomes the least of motivation.
- I have the distinction of crashing my car into our very residential apartment’s Gate! The iron gate was bruised, the car wounded, my ego battered! And in case you are wondering, I was absolutely sober!
- I am fluent in three languages (many Indians are), but shamefully, cannot write in my mother tongue (Bengali). And, like many urban Indians, English is the language I am most comfortable in.
- I love shopping during season end sales, but end up buying stuff which are NOT on sale! 😦
- Small things in life make me very happy. Yesterday I had cooked for the first time in my life some pasta and chicken with stir-fried vegetables, and I was absolutely elated! And yes, it must have been good enough, because my colleagues polished off most of it today, leaving hardly anything for me to eat!
- For a hyper-energetic and talkative person like me, I have unlikely hobbies like photography and writing, which require patience. I also am a voracious reader, quite a movie buff and love running and swimming. Thrice I have been selected through elimination rounds of major quiz contests to go on stage for the zonal finals, and managed to finish LAST, every time! 😛
- I enjoy shooting down holy cows! In an Indian context, which means I don’t like following traditions. For instance, Hindus are forbidden to eat beef, because the cow is considered holy in our religion. Well, I have made sure that I eat enough beef in my lifetime to make sure I can never be allowed into any Hindu heaven!
- I have a resolution to start learning something new every year. 2013, it was blogging, the year before photography and the year prior, learn dancing and playing the guitar (gave up in 3 months, for lack of time)! Even after a year of dancing lessons, I suck at it, BIG TIME!
- Belinda Claushuis calls me Happy Face…and she is not wrong. Only that, another friend calls me Goofy faced (how mean of her!). But yes, I usually have a pretty good sense of humour and can usually enliven a party single-handedly. And you have to try really hard to irritate me enough to move from a grin to grimace!! 😀